Purity of honey
How to check the purity of honey? 5 simple tests
Most of the honey available in market is diluted with molasses and sugar syrup in order to boost their profits. To increase the thickness of the honey, some adds to it flour. So we should know how to check purity of honey at home.
Here, the five commonly used methods to check the purity on a small scale:
1. Thumb Test
2. Water Test
3. Flame Test
4. Water - Vinegar mix test
5. Blotting paper test
1. Thumb Test:
The procedure to do a thumb test to test pure honey:
- put a small drop of the honey on your thumb
- check to see if it spills or spreads around if it does not stick to your thumb,
- it is impure pure honey will stick to your thumb
2. Water Test:
The procedure to do the water test to determine fake honey is:
- Fill a glass with water
- Add one tablespoon of honey into glass
- Adulterated or artificial honey dissolves in water and you will see it around the glass
- Pure honey will settle right at the bottom of your glass
3. Flame Test:
Here's how to do the flame test to check the purity of honey:
Organic honey is flammable. How many of you know the fact?
The procedure of determining honey purity is:
- Take a dry matchstick
- Dip its tip right into honey
- Strike the stick on the matchbox as if to light it
- If the honey is pure, the matchstick will light with ease.
- If the matchstick will not light, it may contain some impurities or honey is adulterated.
4. Water - Vinegar mix test:
The test procedure of determining honey purity is:
- Add a tablespoon of honey,
- 2-3 drops of vinegar and some water in a glass.
- Mix well Observe for about 2 to 3 minutes
- If the solution becomes foamy, that is definitely adulterated honey.
5. Blotting Paper Test:
With the help of blotting paper, how to test to see honey is impure:
- Take a blotting paper and a few drops of honey on the paper
- If it will leave a wet mark on paper, it is adulterated
- Pure honey will not leave any mark on the blotting paper.